Varicha Bhat#SundayFunday

This simple Varicha Bhaat (also known as Bhagar, Varai / Sama Rice or Barnyard Millet Khichdi) is light, wholesome, filling and perfect comfort food for fasting. I have made a Farali / Vrat Thali ( see below all recipes will be posted soon).
Ingredients
1 Tablespoon Desi Ghee
½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 Green Chilly - cut into 3 pieces
½ Cup Bhagar / Varai / Samo Rice /
1½ Cup Hot boiling water
Sendhav Namak to taste
Method
Rinse bhagar 2 to 3 times well in cold water and drain off.
Heat desi ghee, add cumin seeds, green chillies, mix.
Add bhagar and fry over medium heat for 2 minutes. .
Add hot boiling water, salt to taste.
Bring this to a rolling boil then reduce the flame to medium and let is cook for about 4 -5 minutes. Then reduce the flame to low, cover the pot with a lid and and let it cook for another 4- 5 minutes. Once the rice is cooked. Switch off the flame and let the lid remain on the pot for another 10 to 12 minutes so rice will absorb all the moisture and it will become fluffy.
Varaicha bhat is ready to be served!
Labels: Barnyard Millet,Sunday Funday,Vrat, Bhagar, Indian, Maharastrian Cuisine, Thali
This is my Vrat Thali 
For Sunday Funday we are sharing "Rice Recipes"

Arroz de Pato by Culinary Cam
Bhuga Chawal by Mayuri's Jikoni 
Cheesy Rice by Amy's Cooking Adventures 
Crispy Rice Cereal Brittle by A Messy Kitchen
Fried Rice with Crab and Peas by Karen's Kitchen Stories
Hubble Bubble Pumpkin Rice Pot by Food Lust People Love 
Varicha Bhat by Sneha's Recipe

5 comments:

  1. I love going to my local Indian grocery store because I find the grain aisle fascinating. The varieties of millet are amazing! I'll be looking for bhagar next time I go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always intrigued by the name barnyard millet! This sounds easy and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize this was so much higher in fiber than regular rice, that's very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An easy pseudo millet to cook and so tasty. Love it.

    ReplyDelete